Saturday, December 1, 2007

Things that make me feel better


and one of them is coloring my hair. It's time to do that when my gray hair starts to frame my face and I look like those recess monkeys, I am SO vain. Lynn and I have often said, "When do you think we'll stop coloring our hair?" I replied, "When hell freezes over or when they don't make Nutrisse anymore!" We both agreed in unison. At 40, looking in the mirror isn't a matter of "Do I look still look good". It's a matter of how many more new wrinkles have cropped up overnight and are visible or the new age spot that I've been calling a "beauty mark" that has turned another shade of brown. I can see the ageing process has begun slowly. Not so much the pillow bags under my eyes but my hair. It used to be really long, past my waist until I got it cut off about 6 inches on my trip to the Philippines in Feb of this year. My hair had grown to different lengths of various strands and a good salon was recommended through a coworker friend and trusted the woman who had my "hair" in her hands and besides, she was very cute. Being of Hawaiian/Tahitian descent, my hair is very thick and wavy. In the words of Lynn's daughter Bryn, she voted it officially "ruffly". After she washed and combed out my long, dark, tangle mane she proceeded to put my hair up in sections and carefully measured and cut. I could see in the mirror that she took great care and effort in handling my hair and my emotions as I watched my curly locks fall effortlessly on the floor. I haven't cut my hair since I was 14 years old and the birth of my children, my hair grew longer and I let it grow. My friends and co-workers have always asked me if I would cut it and this seemed like a better time than any. The whole cutting process took about 45 minutes and then she tackled the job of french braiding my hair. NO ONE has ever done that to my hair and I was surprised and shocked that it could be done! I had a pedicure, massage, facial, ear cleaning, shampoo, cut and braid all for $25.00us. I gave her a big tip because she was worth it and she bought me a "red horse" beer. I kept my braid in for two days before I loosened it up again and saw how short it was. My hair had fallen to the middle part of my upper back. Very short and something that I've gotten used to. I emailed Lynn telling her that I cut my hair and told her that she now has longer hair than mine. Her hair falls past her waist as well. Being a Caucasian woman from the South, she has very smooth, straight brown hair and has said a few times, "if you cut your hair too short, I'll divorce you!" Which is all in fun, I know she loves me too much to do that. I'm rambling here but yes, I love to color my hair because it definitely makes me feel better and gives me the lift that I need sometimes when my life spirit has dropped a few bars. It's what I crave among other things.

No comments: