Saturday, December 22, 2007

I am missing you

With my weekend full of pre-arranged activities, there will be no time to visit Lynn. I want to see her and hold her, my longing for her is urgent. I am truly missing my soul mate.

6:00AM travels quickly into sync when I finally fall asleep at 4:30AM! My daughter, Pua, was waiting in the wings to be picked up from the Crestwood Facility. With her safely tendered over, we drive back to the hotel only to fall asleep, mother and daughter, to the sound of the Television static. I was restless and my night before was filled with thoughts of Lynn. We had a very constructive conversation. It has been a very long time since we've had a heart to heart talk on the phone. I usually prefer these talks to be in person with her and I enjoy the closeness that I receive from them. Because we don't live together, this is how we most often communicate.
Pua and I finally awoke after 11:00am! We were both tired from her big shopping day yesterday and an early morning today. Because of my Elite status with the Marriott hotel, I had a 3:00pm checkout time, I was in no rush to get home. By 1:30pm, we were famished and unknowingly missed out on the hotel buffet. We made plans for the local hospital cafeteria that she knew about because of their wonderful fresh and organic food. As I packed up the truck with my overnight bag and laptop, she finished her last cigarette in the patio of the hotel. I noticed a very cute young man talking to her as he opened up the door to the dining room of the buffet we missed earlier. All of a sudden, my daughter rushed over to me and said, "Mom, that guy said he's going to pay for half of our breakfast". I replied, "Pua, their closed!" "No, their not!" she interjected. Descending from my truck and locking it closed, we walked into their Bistro bar and lounge area which was still open. Allen, as stated on his name tag, whom we later found out in our conversation was 19, seated us at a table and offered us the breakfast menu. Before ordering, my daughter made sure once again that he was going to pay for half of our breakfast to which he nodded in agreement to. With her newly bought jacket zipped halfway up her chest and her ample mound of cleavage peaking out, I'm sure he would agree to whatever she said! Breakfast was ordered and quickly delivered as our conversation ranged from memories of her childhood to the present and the state of my health. At some point, we included Allen in our conversation and thanked him for breakfast. Before departing and receiving the final check, once again my daughter made sure to see the bill before paying it and walked right up to Allen and stated their agreement. Overheard by a woman whom we later found out to be his manager. She said to Allen, "That's such a nice gesture for you to pay half their breakfast. You know what? Don't worry, I'll take care of it!" About 5 minutes had passed and we asked Allen for the check, he said that it was already taken care of. My daughter and I both looked at him in amazement. "The whole thing?" we said. He nodded, "Yes, my manager took care of your bill" and he disappeared into the kitchen. Trying to figure out his tip, we both decided to leave a $20 bill for his generosity and hospitality. We thanked him again before leaving and asked his managers name so that I could write an "orchid letter" for their wonderful gesture.
Just across the street was the Crestwood facility waiting to receive my daughter. With tearful deep hugs, we said our goodbyes as I watched her being taken in through the last set of familiar doors only to be received by her friends on the other side.

No comments: