Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Santa bell ringers

are out in full force. I visited Pak-n-Save this morning to do some grocery shopping and just before leaving the store, I heard the familiar ringing bell. {Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring } There she was, giving everyone that passed her whether they gave money or not, an upbeat cheer or spirited salutation with a warm, genuine smile. As I put a few dollars in the trade mark tin, I noticed she was a little older, had the Santa hat on and sported the red apron, looking like Santa's elf. What really attracted me to her was her joyousness at being out there and collecting contributions on a cold and dreary, rainy day. As I put my groceries into the back of my truck, I overheard her talking to herself saying, "Thank you for Christmas, thank you for this day". She was in a state of constant joy and very comfortable with herself. At that moment, I envied her for volunteering her time, her spirit and pure joy in helping and being thankful. If I think that I'm at my lowest point, I think about others that are less fortunate that I am. I am very thankful for this day.

No comments: