Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Poop in first class

and a crazed woman at the gates were episodes that I missed when I arrived at work today. I hear, if not witness, delirious, demented and sometimes wacky occurrences in my profession. An agent was recanting the story of a passenger in first class on an inbound flight and how he totally missed the toilet and had bequeathed a present to the cabin crew by defecating on the floor of the lavatory. By the way, no charges were filed and the passenger walked. His excuse was that he was a germaphobe and didn't want to touch the seat cover to the toilet and tried to prop himself above the receptacle only to relieve himself on the floor.
The next story involved our outbound flight and a young woman who acted like an immature 2 year old who was in complete hysterics when she missed her outbound flight for New York. She reacted by throwing herself on the floor, crying and cussing up a storm. When she didn't get her way with the agents at the gate, she returned to the security checkpoint to cool off, all the while still in a state of utter destruction. She never returned and may have caught another flight. My fellow co-workers and I conduct ourselves with the utmost professionalism while remaining calm, listening and performing the best to our abilities. Unlike our predecessors, United, American, Delta and others, we have been given high marks in our customer service skills and friendliness. I have worked for many years with my company and I genuinely love what I do. I think of my co-workers as my second family. Travelling is a perk that is the best in the industry which I have indulged myself and my family in travelling the globe. My trade is a specialized field which you "either have it or you don't". Meaning that you have to be a people person, social, personable, leader, comedian, problem solver, team player and a good listener. There are a host of other attributes which I acquired on the job with the help of other wonderful agents and Supervisors. At one time, the airlines was a profession that was highly coveted and hard to break into. Now, in the wake of possible mergers, talk and the high price of jet fuel, it seems the reasonable choice of venue. No one wants to merge with the possibility of losing their jobs after many years of hard work and a world of travel still out there to see. In this day and age, the unknown is right around the corner waiting to shake my hand.

No comments: